Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LIFE- The story of Heidi.

When I was little, I was given a storybook...one of those thin Goldenbooks that you could prop together and make neat little pictures along your shelf if you lined them up correctly. Oh, I did love to read when I was young...reading took me places that my feet and eyes could not go. It allowed me to open up my mind and imagine....create...draw....paint...think.

One of my favorite tales was that of Heidi. This rosy, spirited young girl who lived in the mountains with her Grandfather after her caretakers, can't rightly remember if they were her parents or not...had passed away. Heidi was afraid at first, but then this curly-haired girl soon became a ruddy, sturdy little thing who loved the mountains and spent time learning a great deal of her environment from Grandfather.

It is sort of funny, that. My own grandpa was quite the man. He was this wisened, wrinkled soul - you could look into his eyes and see fathomless memories of untold tales. He reminds me of Heidi's Grandfather so much.

And then the people down below the mountains decided it wasn't healthy for a little girl to grow up without school, so she was sent down to the city. I believe she lived with a little girl named 'Clara' who could not walk. Eventually, Heidi returned to see her grandfather, with Clara, who learned how to walk in those beautiful mountains.

Right now, I feel like Clara. Stopped. My world was spinning so fast that when it stopped dead...I tripped on life. And sat there, thinking of what to do next. It is not easy for a girl who is in jobs all her life that were fast-paced and always rushing to just...stop. Hammertime? No, don't think that, I'm just getting a little tired.

But, I will be moving, planning on it once I get my feet on the ground. It will be a while, my roomie Drew, also needs to get his feet on the ground. I promised him I wouldn't leave him hanging, so as we both situate our lives, we'll be leaning on each other as friends to do so. That reminds me of the "Lean on Me" song one of our Edison Middle school teachers taught us in the middle of the pod as we all sat on the floor.

Maybe instead of these molehills I keep tripping over, I need to just straight on tackle a mountain.

Not necessarily like...My Side of the Mountain, for I've my little son to take care of...but maybe more like Clara coming up the mountain, carried and bundled in blankets...and then finally walking back down the mountain when it was time for her to go home.

Goodnight, and sweet dreams.

Sarah

1 comment:

Goat said...

The Mountain is only hard to climb if you think it is, and don't consider all the ways around it, or through it, that are available to you.

Knowing you, and all the things you've tried to instill upon me these past 6 months, I thought you of all people would realize this bit of wisdom by now.